Grape Harvest

Well, we had our first frost last week, so it’s time to start harvesting the grapes and making grape juice. We have four grape vines and so far we are half way through the first one. Cindy has been able to bottle about 20 quarts of grape juice already and it tastes really good. I love the fall, the cooler weather and the harvest season.


Indexed by Google

So, I took a little break from blogging and checking the status of this site and on Google.  Came back to check everything today and it looks like they indexed this site on Sept 22nd (after 5 days of announcing it with a Google sitemap) and on Sept 23rd (after 4 days of announcing it with a Google sitemap).  Pretty good response time.  Too bad I didn’t announce another site strictly through their submit a URL page at the same time to see how it compared.

Backwords compatibilty and Spammers

So what do you do when you have tens of thousands of customers around the world who are used to using their domain’s smtp server without any smtp authentication?  Well, if it wasn’t for spammers, you would let them keep on doing it.  But, unfortunately, spammers just never stop.  They are constantly scanning for any kind of hole that they can find.  Some days I really hate spammers, they can ruin your day.  As a system administrator, mail is a common maintenance task.  I’ve worked with many types of mail servers: Imail, sendmail, postfix, and qmail.  So far postfix is my favorite and I highly recommend using MailScanner for a complete package of software for spam and anti-virus protection on your server.  I’m still looking for a better solution then qmail for multiple domain e-mail hosting, but hope to someday have time to look into dovecot and cyrus.  Before postfix, I used to evangelize sendmail, but over the years I have realized there is an easier way (and works better too).

Google Sitemaps II

Okay, so the gsitecrawler program did the trick. It was able to crawl all 22,702 links on the site and create a valid sitemap. The sitemap uncompressed is about 5 MB, so I uploaded the compressed version (sitemap.xml.gz) and submitted it to Google. After several minutes Google validated it and now comes the wait for it to be properly indexed. Hopefully I’ll have more original content on it by then.