Testing HTTP/HTTPS through telnet/openssl

I know this is available other places, but I needed one place to keep track of everything:

Basic HTTP (telnet hostname.com 80):

GET / HTTP/1.1
host: hostname.com
- additional carriage return -

HTTPS (openssl s_client -connect hostname.com:443):

GET / HTTP/1.1
host: hostname.com
- additional carriage return -

HTTPS with Basic Authentication (openssl s_client -connect hostname.com:443):

GET / HTTP/1.1
host: hostname.com
Authorization: Basic cGVyyyyblahyyyyrJtYx4h
- additional carriage return -

This is how you would come up with the Base64 Encoded string for basic Authentication:

(This is supposed to work, but it didn’t work for me. I ended up running a sniffer on an unencrypted page that used my credentials (of course, internally) and pulled it out of the headers. If you know what I am doing wrong here, please let me know.)

perl -e 'print "username:", crypt("password","tR"), "\n"'
==> username:tR40ZxFCZTntI
perl -MMIME::Base64 -e'print encode_base64("username:tR40ZxFCZTntI")'
==> dXNlcm5hbWU6dFI0MFp4RkNaVG50SQ==

So technically you should put:

Authorization: Basic dXNlcm5hbWU6dFI0MFp4RkNaVG50SQ==

(Thanks to Brandon Checketts for the openssl replacement of telnet for https connections.)

Please VOTE for this page at: ADD TO DEL.ICIO.US | ADD TO DIGG | ADD TO FURL | ADD TO NEWSVINE | ADD TO NETSCAPE | ADD TO REDDIT | ADD TO STUMBLEUPON | ADD TO TECHNORATI FAVORITES | ADD TO SQUIDOO | ADD TO WINDOWS LIVE | ADD TO YAHOO MYWEB | ADD TO ASK | ADD TO GOOGLE

8 Comments

1. To test pop3/tls (secure pop3):

openssl s_client -connect mail.hostname.com:995

Then the usual pop3 commands:

user user@domainname.com
    pass password
    list
    quit

Posted December 2, 2007, 6:30 pm

2. And here’s the commands to test imap (the test1-3 words are just tags required for imap):

test1 login username password
    test2 list “Inbox” “*”
    test3 logout

Posted January 11, 2008, 3:43 pm

3. You’re using to much encryption on your basic auth. Here’s the perl line that works:

perl -MMIME::Base64 -e ‘print encode_base64(“username:password”)’

(yes, the password is plain text that’s just base 64 encoded – it has basically no security.)

<mike

Posted February 24, 2009, 1:13 pm

4. Cool, thanks for pointing out what I did wrong, Mike. Not sure why I was thinking that I needed to crypt it first.

Posted February 24, 2009, 10:51 pm

5. Also, if your password has some “special” characters in it, it can be a pain with both the shell and perl trying to have their way with it. Here is an example on how to use openssl itself to encode it.

$ echo ‘UserName:P@$$w()Rd!’ | openssl base64 -e
    VXNlck5hbWU6UEAkJHcoKVJkIQo=

Posted March 4, 2009, 6:22 pm

6. Testing TLS:

openssl s_client -starttls smtp -crlf -connect mail.hostname.com:587

Force TLSv1:

openssl s_client -starttls smtp -crlf -tls1 -connect mail.hostname.com:587

Posted September 22, 2009, 4:50 pm

7. Hi, you can also use Python from the shell:

python -c ‘import base64; print base64.encodestring(“username:password”).rstrip(“\n”)’

then just continue normally. E.g.:

openssl s_client -connect mywebsite.tld:443
    GET / HTTP/1.1
    Host: localhost
    Authorization: Basic

I know its late but maybe it helps somebody in the future.

Posted June 25, 2013, 6:38 am

8. Seems the website strips < stuff.

In my other comment:

Authorization: Basic

in

Authorization: Basic (included python -c stuff here from the command above)

Posted June 25, 2013, 6:40 am